Allow me to walk you through revamping my tired, mismatched patio set!
This is it to begin with:



The table was bought on Facebook marketplace in 2013 for $20. I originally paired it with two separately thrifted black chairs ($10 for those, you can see the black chair behind the table) but they were seriously beat up and for some reason, one was stolen! I then paired the table with these three red chairs (nice quality, $50 for the 3) behind the white one below, which I love, but I only had three and I wanted a set (even though my family size is 3, we frequently have overnight guests.)

I ended up finding these white metal and wood kitchen chairs a couple of weeks ago on Facebook Marketplace and it was $20 for four. They weren't in too bad of shape and I knew I could fix them up. It was time (after 5 years!) to flip this thrift.


These were originally kitchen chairs.

Table and one of the chairs I had paired with it originally:

I started by cleaning everything and then sanding the wood seat and back of the chairs to prep for paint. Part of the reason I wanted to paint everything is because the chairs had been meant for indoor use so I needed to get them set to be outdoors. Our plan was to remove the seats and back and spray paint them gold, then do the frame of the chair blue. We could not get the screws out of the chairs, they were too rusted. So, we developed plan b: gold legs. We taped off the point where we wanted the gold to stop and then started painting the legs of the chairs gold.


Next we left the chair legs to dry and went ahead and started spraying the table blue. My daughter picked "seaside" blue by Rustoleum. It will adhere to plastic, metal, wood, stone, and masonry so it was the perfect choice. We chose a glossy finish to help protect the paint from weather.


We did about 3 light coats of the blue on the table to get fully even coverage and moved back to the chairs. To get the rest of the chairs blue we taped plastic bags around the now gold, dried chair legs and sprayed the chairs with the same blue color. We did about 2 light coats per chair.

The chairs turned out GORGEOUS. LOOK at those gold legs. Some chairs still have a bit of a white stripe where the kids were not careful to tape perfectly, but I think it adds to the look.



We went back to the table and I sprayed the center medallion gold to tie in the gold chair legs. I might add a few more gold spots to really complete the look. We then added clear sealer to seal everything from the weather, very important since the chairs are part wood. Over all, for my first big spray paint project, I think it looks great! It really brightens up the ugly patio. 


Before and after:
I can't wait to find a seating set for the backyard to really make it a place I go for relaxing and outdoor dining. I'm also going to add a baby pool for my niece with lounge chairs next to it, as well as a free standing hammock. 

Cost of set: $40, thrifted.
Materials used: 7 cans of spray paint @ 3.40 each for 24.43 total.
4 cans of "Seaside"
2 cans of clear coat
1 can of metallic gold.
Painter's tape: $4
Drop cloth: already had in my basement
Masks and gloves: $2
Plastic bags: Free! Used leftover grocery store bags.
Total hours: about 5 spread over three days to allow dry time.
Total money spent: $70.43, spread over 5 years since I the table is from 2013.

What do you think of out spray painted patio set?

Till next time, stay beautiful!
-Ash